Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Day 9 - Tibet - School Kids and Back Home...to Lhasa


Summary:
On the 6 hour drive back to Lhasa, we visited a glacier, a palace and a school. The glacier we visited (at it's base) had an elevation of 5500 meters or 18,000 feet. If Jason and I had the time (we probably didn't have the energy) to climb this glacier, it's going all the way up to 23,600 feet!!! For comparison's sake, the basin of Lake Tahoe is ~6,200 feet and the highest point at Heavenly is 11,000 feet. NO AIR up there. We then visited a mini palace that was quite a hike and got some good scenic shots. Afterwards we visited a school that had 60+ kids whose ages were 7-12. Prayed for them and handed out the rest of our stickers and candy. We also got to play basketball with them! =). We capped off the night by meeting up with the missionaries at Yak Steak House - DELICIOUS place with great indian food.

Day 9 Photos are HERE (lots more pictures and captions!!!)



Details:
I got to see lots of scenery that I could actually stand on (the palace, the bottom of the glacier, fields, etc).

The school was a place that the foundation had screened for heart disease last year. We met with the principle and handed out the remainder of our goodies. The kids were so orderly and wel behaved. They were so happy to be getting these simple little treats. You can just see the life in their eyes light up. We prayed for them...just like in the hospitals, I did it in english, jason followed in chinese. After we prayed with them and handed stuff out on the basketball court, I was ITCHING to play ball...

I hadn't touched a ball in weeks and I remember asking several times - who's got a ball? They brought out 2 nice weathered leather NBA stamped basketballs. I was almost as happy as the kids! One kid knew how to dripple and shoot. I was asking what kind of ball skills they had: could they dribble, shoot, pass, etc. I can't speak their language so I demo'd what I wanted them to do and they were able to show me their stuff. They don't have a coach or a PE teacher to show them how to play, so they just learn on their own. They just play and run around. Definitely a lot of fun.

After the 6 hour drive back I was anxious to see our missionary friends again. We had a wonderful dinner and hang out time with the missionaries at a popular restaurant called Yak Steak House. It was actually a continental menu with chinese, tibetan, indian, korean, and american food. Unfortunately, they pulled a fast one on us and paid for dinner...it was supposed to be OUR treat! But we'll get them back later ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment